Monday, June 22, 2009

I'm Here

And, since "here" is a little slice of paradise along the French Mediterranean, life does not suck at the moment.









Plus, I got a surprise free upgrade to first class for the first part of the trip, which also did not suck. The first order of business after arriving was a cruisey 75' run to shake out the legs. Unfortunately, the legs were quick to remind me that sitting in one position for the better part of 18 hours (even in first class) is not conducive to feeling peppy. "Oh, and it's 3am our time, by the way".


As if the legs weren't enough confirmation that I had just made a transAtlantic flight, there were several other hints of French culture to greet me during the run. There were the many vespas and topless elderly ladies sunbathing, of course--that's a given. Plus, within 30 seconds of my jog, I spotted the requisite guy biking in speedo. Then, I almost stepped in dog crap on the sidewalk. Twice. Also managed to reaffirm that finding a public restroom in France is almost--but thankfully not entirely--impossible. Still, I got 'er done, and managed to not feel half bad by the very end.


I returned to my homestay in Biot, a small hillside village where I am staying until Thursday with Simon and Lindsey--an amazing couple that I stayed with last year who spoil me rotten with guided rides and gourmet dinners. . .more on those later. Race day is Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it!



6 comments:

  1. GOOD LUCK Katya!! have a great race! we'll b cheering you on from home!! looks so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Katya! I'm planning on racing IM France either next year or someday, so I'm looking forward to what you say about the race and your time in France... looks gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh. I love Nice. Best of luck out there - I have a strong suspicion that you're going to rock it. We'll be following excitedly. See you in July?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah. france must suck. you probably miss our lovely san diego june gloom and strip malls already. enjoy the taper and the sightseeing and then rest up and show 'em who's katya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck - you're going to rock it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jealous...Jealous. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete