Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Vacation from a Vacation

I've spent the past week relaxing in Nantucket, an island off the coast of Massachusetts. Think Tommy Hilfiger ads. A little posh for my usual liking, but my family has been coming here since before my mother was born, and before it morphed from a quiet and somewhat seedy beach getaway to the epicenter of blue blazers, khakis, large yachts, and tennis whites that it is today. So, there is a great deal of sentimental attachment.

Considering that I arrived here via the South of France, I suppose this trip can really only be described as that elusive often mentioned, but rarely experienced "vacation from a vacation". Yes, I feel darn lucky.



I arrived last Wednesday, a bit jet lagged and travel weary, legs that still felt like lead from the race, not to mention feet that very nearly resembled ground chuck. After a week of beaching, tennis, BBQ-ing, bike riding (but only if it has a basket and no more than 3 gears), and relaxing with the best group of friends a girl could ask for, I am feeling better than new.


No, that's not your imagination. 8 out of the 10 guys in this picture do have a mustache. Grown especially for the trip.

This is a picture of Kristina and Maggie on our biking adventure to Bartlett Farms, where you can buy fresh local produce. We felt so old school.

Of course, if 3 of you are attempting to buy fresh local produce for 16 people, the trip home can be a bit cumbersome, as we discovered. Especially if your bungee cords are too short and the road is full of large potholes and larger puddles. But, we managed. . .barely!

In a classic demonstration of "old meets new", this is Maggie using the GPS app on her iPhone to guide our quaint little procession.

One of my best friends is getting married on Saturday (congrats, Ellie and Mike!!), so I have a few more days on the East coast before heading back to San Diego. As much fun as vacation(s) can be, I am already very much looking forward to getting back to the training groove!

1 comment:

  1. What, no stop over in Canada??? Totally going to miss you, hope you have fun back into training... and I love the fotos!

    ReplyDelete