Friday, July 31, 2009

Almost time


All's good here in Michigan. I arrived Wednesday for the Whirlpool Steelhead race, just in time for an 8:30pm swim with the local tri group--it's not dark till nearly 10pm here! Better still, before I even hit the sack, my bike was already assembled by my awesome hosts who are not only race volunteers, but also own the town bike shop. Talk about connections.

Yesterday was a second swim in the lake, followed by a preview ride of the course. The bike course is absolutely spectacular--gently rolling country roads spotted with apple orchards, pick it yourself blueberry farms, and vegetable stands every few miles. I briefly considered dumping my water bottles and having a try at the berry picking, but restrained myself.






This sign, posted outside of a one room schoolhouse sort of confused me. Not as much as the French speedo one, but confusing nonetheless. Are they just trying to prevent general loitering? Does the kid's jewlry they find go a long ways towards the school budget? Thoughts?







Ah, well. I'll have 70.3 miles tomorrow to ponder it. Happy weekend training and racing, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. ALL the best for a GREAT race Katya! Don't think too hard on the sign, get the job done, then go ask someone!
    HUGS!
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
  2. FELICITATIONS KATYA!!
    Quelle belle course tu as connue a Steelhead!!
    Je suis tres fiere de toi!
    (Just a bit of french homework, until next time we get to practice!)
    Congrats!!!
    So that means you are now going to be part of the 2009 CLEARWATER PARTY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a great race Katya, sorry my dumb phone dialed you by accident (late) while we were driving to SD. Oops.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete